Pursuing implants for your teeth means undergoing serious dental surgery. While any dental procedure comes with risks, this particular surgery has been performed for decades as a safe and effective way to restore missing teeth.
If you’re nervous about pursuing dental implants, it's important to understand the potential risks and benefits before you make an informed decision.
Complications Of Dental Implant Surgery
It’s important to note that complications that occur as a result of dental implants are rare. Seeing a dentist that has years of experience conducting traditional or mini dental implant procedures means you’ll have an even smaller chance of complications. That being said, here are some of the possible problems that can occur during or after your implant surgery:
Here are some potential complications that can occur after dental implant surgery:
- Infection at the implant site
- Allergic reaction to the implant material
- Nerve damage, which can cause numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the mouth or face
- Sinus problems, if the implant is placed too close to the sinus cavity
- Implant failure, which may occur if the implant does not properly fuse with the jawbone or if there is not enough bone density to support the implant
- Gum recession or inflammation, which can lead to implant exposure or even implant loss
- Jawbone damage or fracture, which is rare but can occur during the implant placement procedure.
It's important to choose a qualified and experienced dental professional to perform the implant surgery, as improper placement or inadequate aftercare can increase the risk of complications. Additionally, patients with certain health conditions or who smoke may be at a higher risk for implant failure or other complications, so it's important to discuss any pre-existing conditions before undergoing the procedure.
Are Mini Dental Implants Safe To Get As Well?
Mini dental implants are a safe and effective alternative to traditional dental implants. Unlike traditional implants that require extensive surgery, mini implants are minimally invasive, making the procedure less stressful and more comfortable for patients.
They are also made of high-quality materials such as titanium or zirconia, which are biocompatible and integrate well with the jawbone. This means that the implant is less likely to be rejected by the body and further reduces the risk of complications.
If you’re looking to schedule an appointment or consultation for dental implants, look no further than Excellence in Dentistry. Contact our practice to secure your appointment now.